Only time heals accurate negative information in your credit reportNo credit repair service can erase bankruptcies, judgments, liens, or bad loans, nor can they create a new credit identity legally.  So what do you do if something wrong shows up on your credit report?

Consumers make mistakes; they buy things they cannot afford.  It may have been a mistake for you to max out your credit cards while you were still paying off your boat, but the bankruptcy you never filed…that is an inaccuracy on your credit report.

Tell the credit reporting company about the inaccuracy.  The Federal Trade Commission offers the following sample letter to help you communicate your dispute.

[Your Name]
[Your Address]
[Your City, State, Zip Code]


Complaint Department

[Company Name]
[Street Address]
[City, State, Zip Code]

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing to dispute the following information in my file. I have circled the items I dispute on the attached copy of the report I received.

This item [identify item(s) disputed by name of source, such as creditors or tax court, and identify type of item, such as credit account, judgment, etc.] is [inaccurate or incomplete] because[describe what is inaccurate or incomplete and why]. I am requesting that the item be removed [or request another specific change] to correct the information.

Enclosed are copies of [use this sentence if applicable and describe any enclosed documentation, such as payment records and court documents] supporting my position. Please reinvestigate this[these] matter[s] and [delete or correct] the disputed item[s] as soon as possible.



Your name

Enclosures: [List what you are enclosing.]


Also, you can tell the creditor or information provider about your dispute.  Again, do it in writing.

If you do use a credit repair service to help you address the accurate ‘mistakes’ you made in your credit report, remember that a reputable credit service will not charge you before they have performed their services.

For more information about credit, visit the Federal Trade Commission website for consumer information at